Ola! After 5 years, I've abandoned this blog. If you want more, go to boscoh.com

2.11.2004

Immigration

Fear is standing at the borders of a trigger-happy country without your legal papers.

I had confidently approached the immigration counter, handed over my pass-port, even showed the nice officer where my J1 visa form was crudely stapled in my passport. Knowing that this officer was the bulwark that shielded Americans from fear, it was crucial that my paperwork be in order. It didn't hurt that I tried to appear inoffensive and safe. The immigration officer had found all to his satisfaction, and then asked for my DS-2019 form, the most important form to enter the US for us J1 visa holders.

Embarassed that I hadn't got it out, but knowing exactly where it was, I quickly rifled through the stack of papers I had accumulated in my travels. On my first pass, I couldn't find it. I looked for it again. I couldn't find it. I start to have a mini heart attack.

"I'm sorry sir, but you will have to go to secondary."

I did end up finding my DS-2019. I had forgotten that I had left it in an envelope and thus missed the envelope as I searched through my stack of documents. But too late, the immigration officer had already sent me on my way to the secondary.